I NEED A DOUGHNUT!
No, you don't.
YES I DO!
Um.... no, you DON'T.
Does this internal dialog happen to you? Well, you are not the only one. Food cravings come at you from SO MANY different angles; advertising, old habits, nostalgia... We all fight them and sometimes we win - sometimes we lose. To help you beat back those cravings and win this internal argument, we've gathered a few articles we think you'll find useful.
6 Tips for Stopping Food Cravings
- Drink plenty of water. Sometimes your body mistakes thirst for hunger. Pro tip: Add a slice of lemon for variety.
- Be proactive. Eat regularly and don't let yourself get too hungry.
- Keep healthy snacks on hand wherever you are, especially when you're on the go.
- Allow yourself to give into the cravings from time to time in a controlled portion so you don't feel deprived.
- When a craving strikes, focus on something else — go for a walk, meditate, read, etc.
- Indulge a little by having a piece of dark chocolate or fruit if you're craving sweets.
What Your Food Cravings are Trying to Tell You
What’s going on when you feel like you just gotta eat a certain something? Here are 6 messages that your cravings may be trying to send you.
Stress & Food Cravings
For many of us, cravings kick into high gear when we're stressed or anxious. Carbohydrates boost our levels of the hormone serotonin, which has a calming effect. And recent research suggests that the combination of fat and sugar may also have a calming effect.