Why are you pursuing a healthy lifestyle? If you’re like us, you simply want to be the best version of yourself that you can be, and you keep fit (or desire to be fit) for myriad reasons.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is hard work, but there’s one simple thing you can do to amplify your fitness efforts both in the gym and kitchen: Stay hydrated.
Here’s a quick look at some ways drinking water will quench what you’re thirsting for, plus some tips to help you develop your hydration habit.
Key Benefits of Staying Hydrated
If you’re trying to lose or maintain weight, staying hydrated is a must. Drinking water helps the body function efficiently by regulating digestion, flushing out toxins and speeding up metabolism.
If you want to add a little spring to your step, drinking water will do the trick. Feeling tired and sluggish is just one of many unpleasant symptoms of dehydration.
Over half your body is made up of water and you can’t survive without it. Staying hydrated plays a hand in everything from regulating body temperature to lubricating joints to transporting nutrients.
The skin is your body’s largest organ; it contains 64 percent water. Staying hydrated not only flushes toxins that cause pimples and inflammation, it helps make fine lines and wrinkles less pronounced.
How to Develop Your Hydration Habit
It’s one thing to know the benefits of staying hydrated and another to actually chug down all that water. Treat your water intake just like your food intake: Plan it into your daily diet and keep track of it in your fitness journal.
If you treat drinking water like eating healthy, you’ll continually look for opportunities to increase your intake by making small, consistent changes to replace old habits (drinking soda) with healthy new ones (drinking water).
Need help getting started? Here are some tips:
- Buy a water bottle that holds 20 ounces or more of water. It’s a bit of mental trickery, but it’s easier to drink three bottles of water than eight glasses.
- Start your day with a glass of water. Yep, before your coffee.
- Add a glass of water to your daily skincare regimen. It will do more for your skin than that $50 face cream!
- Make drinking water convenient. Always keep it with you: At home, work, bedside table, etc.
- Drink a glass of water every time you log into Facebook.
- Add lemon, cucumber or other fruits and veggies to your water to add flavor and extra health benefits. Need something sweeter? Avoid artificial sweeteners and use fruit juice, real sugar or honey instead.
- Have a junk food craving? Drink a glass of water.
- Drink with a straw. You’ll suck down the water faster.
- Turn up the heat in your mouth by adding hot peppers to your food. You’ll drink more water while reaping the benefits of capsaicin.
- Use an app like Waterlogged to track your daily water intake and send hydration reminders.
- Drink decaffeinated tea at night to help hydrate and ward off cravings for snacks.
- Wake up in the middle of the night? Guzzle a glass of water.
Do you have tips and tricks to stay hydrated? Share them below.